and Pool Physics Resourcessupporting the book: The
Illustrated Principles of Pool and Billiards and the instructional video series:
Video Encyclopedia of Pool Shots (VEPS),
Video Encyclopedia of Pool Practice (VEPP),
How to Aim Pool Shots (HAPS), and the Billiard University (BU)
general interest books:
- Alciatore, D.,
The Illustrated Principles of Pool and Billiards, Sterling Publishing,
- Daish, C., The Physics of Ball Games, pp. 77-83 and 146-161,
The English Universities Press, 1972.
- Griffing, D., The Dynamics of Sports,
pp. 353-375, Mohican Publishing Company, Loudonville, Ohio, 1982.
J., The Science of Pocket Billiards, Sportology Publications, 1989.
J., The Science of Billiards, The F. A. Bassette Co., 1913.
- Coriolis, G., Theorie mathematique des effets du jeu de billard
(Mathematical Theory of the Game of Billiards) , Journal de l'Ecole polytechnique,
- Marlow, W., The
Physics of Pocket Billiards, Marlow Advanced Systems Technologies (MAST),
- Shepard, R., "Amateur Physics
for the Amateur Pool Player," 3rd edition, 1997.
W., "Impact Mechanics," Cambridge University Press, 2000.
see also: bibliography including French publications
- Alciatore, D., "The
Amazing World of Billiards Physics," article written (by request) for Scientific
American magazine but not published, May, 2007.
D., Billiards Digest Dr. Dave's Illustrated
Principles monthly article.
- Jewett, B., Billiards Digest TechTalk
- Klein, A., "Big
Shot - With the help of physics, a teenage pool player goes pro," Science
World, v.63, n. 9, February, 2007.
- Onoda, G., Billiards Digest series
of articles from the late 1980s.
- Walker, J., "The
Physics of the Follow, the Draw, and the Massé (in billiards and pool),"
Scientific American, July, 1983.
- Wilmsen, E., "'Dr.
Dave' teaches mechanical engineering principles through billiards," Today
@ Colorado State, April 4, 2008.
D., Pool and Billiards Physics
Principles by Coriolis and Others, http://billiards.colostate.edu/physics/Alciatore_pool_physics_article.pdf, August, 2008.
- Alciatore, D., Technical
Proofs for "The Illustrated Principles of Pool," 2002-present.
G., "Study of Collisions - Part I: A Survey of the Periodical
Literature," American Journal of Physics, Vol. 26, No. 1, pp. 5-8, 1958.
G., "Study of Collisions - Part II: A Survey of the Periodical
Literature," American Journal of Physics, Vol. 26, No. 9, pp. 9-12, 1958.
J. and Scott, W., "Billiard-Ball Collision Experiment,"
American Journal of Physics, Vol. 31, No. 3, pp. 197-200, 1963.
M., "Position play in
carom billiards as a Markov Process," Journal of Quantitative Analysis
in Sports, Vol. 3, Issue 4, 2007.
- Cross, R., "Cue
and ball deflection (or "squirt") in billiards," American Journal
of Physics, Vol. 76, No. 3, pp. 205-212, 2008.
- Cross, R., Rolling motion of a ball spinning about a near-vertical axis, The Physics Teacher, 50, 25-27, 2012.
- Crown, S., "Modeling
the Effects of Velocity, Spin, Frictional Coefficient, and Impact Angle on Deflection
Angle in Near-elastic Collisions of Phenolic Resin Spheres," Cornell
University Library arXiv.org, 2004.
- Domenech, et al., "Introduction to the study of rolling friction," American Journal of Physics, Vol. 55, No. 3, pp. 321-235, 1987.
- Domenech, A., and Casasus, E., "Frontal impact of rolling spheres," Phys. Educ., Vol. 26, No. 3, pp. 186-189, 1991.
- Domenech, A., "Non-smooth modelling of billiard- and superbilliard-ball collisions," International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, Vol. 50, No. 4, pp. 752-763, April 2008.
- Greenspan, M., et al., "Toward a Competitive Pool-Playing Robot," IEEE Computer, pp. 46-53, January, 2008.
- Gugan, D., "Inelastic
collision and the Hertz theory of impact," American Journal of Physics,
Vol. 68, No. 10, pp. 920-924, October 2000.
- Han, I., "Dynamics in Carom and Three Cushion Billiards," Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology (KSME Int'l J), Vol. 19, No. 4, pp. 976-984, 2005.
- Hierrezuelo, J. and Carnero, C., "Sliding and rolling: The phyusics of a rolling ball," Phys Educ., 30 (3), pp. 177-182, 1995.
- Leckte W. and Greenspan, M.,
Simulation by Event Prediction 1: Motion Transitions," International
Computer Gaming Association Journal, vol. 28(4):214-222, Dec. 2005.
- Leckte W. and Greenspan, M.,
Simulation by Event Prediction ii: Collisions," International
Computer Gaming Association Journal, March, 2006.
- Lewandowski, J. and Faustino, I., "Design, Fabrication, and Implementation of Jump-Cue Testing Machine" (2006). Osprey Journal of Ideas and Inquiry, Paper 63, 2006.
- Long, J. et al., "Robotic pool: An experiment in automatic potting," Proceedings of EIII/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, Sendai, Japan, pp. 2530-2525, 2004.
- Mabry, R., "The Hardest Straight-in Pool Shot," The College Mathematics Journal, Vol. 41, No.1, pp. 49-57, January, 2010.
- Mathavan, S., et al., "Application of high-speed imaging to determine the dynamics of billiards," American Journal of Physics Vol. 77, No. 9, pp. 788-794, 2009.
- Mathavan, S., et al., "A theoretical analysis of billiard ball dynamics under cushion impacts," Proc. IMechE Vol. 224, Part C, Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science, 2010.
- Mathavan, S., et al., "Numerical simulations of the frictional collisions of solid balls on a rough surface," Sports Eng, June, 2014.
great circles to understand motion on a rotating sphere," American Journal
of Physics, Vol. 68, No. 12, pp. 10971105, December 2000.
A. D., "Mechanics of Billiards,
and Analysis of Willie Hoppe's Stroke," College of Engineering, University
of Michigan, 1942.
- Onoda, G., "Comment on 'Analysis
of Billiard Ball Collisions in Two Dimensions'," American Journal of
Physics, Vol. 57, No. 5, pp. 476-478, May, 1989.
- Petit, R., "The
Art of Billiards Play."
- Shepard, R., "Everything
you Always Wanted to Know About Cue Ball Squirt, but Were Afraid to Ask,"
- Sorokin, A., "Investigation in Some Wave Properties of a Billiards Cue," http://dbkcues.ru/articles-2/investigation-in-some-wave-properties-of-a-billiards-cue/?lang=en, 2011.
- Tikhonov, S., "Russian Billiards: Table Difficulty," http://dbkcues.ru/2014/05/21/russian-billiards-table-difficulty-2/?lang=en, May, 2014.
R. and Schroeder, M., "Analysis of Billiard Ball Collisions
in Two Dimensions," American Journal of Physics, Vol. 56, No. 9, September,
pp. 815-819, 1988.
- Witters, J. and Duymelinck, D., "Rolling
and sliding resistive forces on balls moving on a flat surface," American
Journal of Physics, Vol. 54, No. 1, pp. 80-83, January, 1986.
- Yang, J. and Chen, Y., "The design of jump shot decision-making system for a billiard robot," IEEE Conference on Robotics Automation and Mechatronics (RAM), Singapore, June 2010.